Photography: 85mm First Shots at Blarney Castle

New lens arrived a couple of weeks ago! These are a couple of test shots taken at Blarney Castle.

The lens is the 85mm Nikon 1.8G

I bought it for use with portraits mainly but I think it is a great lens for other shots as well. I took it around Blarney Castle on a very cold Saturday. Here are some of the results;



Below: I love the sharpness and bokeh that can be achieved from the lens. It did take a few shot position changes as I've been mostly had my 35mm on my camera for so long now (another lens I love, particularly for DX/crop sensor cameras)

 

Above: It's funny but I tend to shoot more landscapes with anything but superwide lens'. I think it has a perspective which feels it can be walked in whereas for me superwide can seem a little distorted/trying too hard to emulate the eye rather than the view (personal opinion/taste)

Below: Katy with the D80+50mm 1.8


 

Below: this photo was 4 photos stitched together with the 85mm. I've started stitching a lot more photos together as I can keep the same lens on and usually get a less distorted image than using a wide/superwide.


Overall I love it!

 There have been a few minor gripes with the lens however which I think was just a bit of unluck/could happen to any lens but the AF needed tweaking. I didn't realise this as these were literally the first shots taken but as I was zooming in on images to check sharpness I noticed unfortunately where my focus point was it was off by quite a bit.

Checking online I noticed it can be quite common with some lens/camera mixes and I have now got it fine tuned using the simple AF fine tune on the D7000 itself. The next blog post will explain how I did this myself and show some before/after test results.

Now I have it working as well as I can I have a few shoots to do this week then at the weekend I'll take it out and try to shoot some portraits!

This entry was posted on Tuesday 12 March 2013 and is filed under ,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply