Sculptris: Torso Study

Base mesh done in Maya based on a quick tutorial found in the book 'Zbrush Digital Sculpting Human Anatomy' by Scott Spencer - You can find it on Amazon here

The book itself is great for learning how to sculpt anatomy (I have no real traditional training so learning as I go). Although it is based around using Zbrush the same sculpture lines /techniques still basically apply.

I just started working on the torso for a heroic/comic style character and kept proportions in mind.


With a base mesh done and a basic form created you can just start tweaking with the grab tool to make quick prototypes for other body shapes. (Click images for larger view)



The preview render style I am showing here is just a few different materials (still in sculpt mode) rendered out and layered in Photoshop. I then make a smart layer and duplicate that, one of the layers I apply a cutout filter (then choose soft light as the layer type) for a hint of cel shaded/hand painted shadows then the other I created a very think glowing edge using Filters> glowing edges. You then switch the layer type to linear dodge(add) or Screen for the desired effect.

Have a play around yourself anyway, enjoy!

This entry was posted on Monday 23 April 2012 and is filed under ,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply